How I’m Paying My House Off By Reselling Thrift Store Items For Profit
A few years ago I didn’t know it was possible to make money by flipping thrift store items online. I had no idea that people could make a full-time income from it!
While, I don’t resell full time, it does allow me to bring in a good chunk of income every month.
I work a couple mornings a month “sourcing.” Then I photograph and list in the afternoons during naptime.
Most of what I sell are not high-value items. But even so, I make $30-$40 per hour!
The best part is, money comes in every day of the year whether I’m working, sleeping or on vacation!
If you’re wondering how you can do this too, it basically comes down to knowing:
- The best things to resell.
- How and where to sell them.
The Best Things To Resell
Knowing what kinds of items you can sell, and more importantly, the best things to resell, is half the battle.
One of the best ways to get an idea of what you can sell is to look through actual sold items.
You can find some of my actual sold items in these posts:
How And Where To Sell
Once you’ve seen all the items you can make money on, the next major part is figuring out how to sell them and make some money.
On this site, you will find many articles to answer all your reselling-related questions.
Some of the popular posts to help you out are:
- How To Sell On eBay: 8-step guide
- How To Ship On Poshmark: 3 easy steps
- How To Ship Internationally On eBay
- How To Know How Quickly Your Item Will Sell
- 9 Ways To Get Your Items Seen And Sold On eBay
- 5 Ways To Increase Your eBay Sales
- Auctions Vs. Fixed Price Listings: Which is best?
- 9 Places To Get Free & Cheap Shipping Supplies
- 10 Affordable Lighting Kits Under $100
- 10 Best Mannequins
- Using A Mannequin: plus 3 other ways to display clothes
- Reselling Supplies I Use
If you want ALL the details on how to make money from reselling, I’ve put together a FREE 5-Day Course called “Reseller Bootcamp.”
You can sign up and get the course delivered straight to your inbox.
- What kinds of items you can flip.
- The best places to sell to maximize your profits.
- 6 keys to taking professional looking photos.
- The 5 components to every great listing.
- How to turn flipping into a steady and reliable income.
How This Month Went…
This was the second full month of everything being shutdown due to COVID.
Because of that, I had ZERO trips to thrift stores, garage sales, and the like.
I did list several items that I had purchased the previous month.
However, people are still doing tons of shopping online, so I had 132 sales. But that is less than my normal 200+ items I usually sell in a month.
The best of what I sold can be found here in Top 15 Sales of the month.
And if you’re wondering how much you can make from reselling. I publish Income Reports every month.
You can find the latest Income Report (including gross revenue, expenses, and net profit) here.
Read on to find out how much I was able to put towards my mortgage this month. And how much is remaining of my loan!
Why Do You Share Your Mortgage Info?
“Why do you share your actual mortgage payoff amount?” you make be asking? Two reasons:
- To give you an idea of what’s possible. Your goal may be different than mine and that’s okay. It’s just nice to have a big goal to work towards.
- To make myself accountable. The money I earn from reselling is primarily going towards extra principle payments to pay off my mortgage early. If I share the amount with the world, I am bound to stick with my goal. I will complete it if the world is watching.
Some Things To Note About My Mortgage:
- 30-year fixed
- 4.3750% interest rate
- $160,000 original loan amount
- Loan mature date: Feb 1, 2039
- We’ve put additional extra principle on the loan as extra money (tax returns, credit card rewards, etc) has come in and will continue to do so. The amounts will be noted separately from my reselling money.
- The official start date of my goal to use my reselling money towards extra principle is August 2019.
- The loan amount at the beginning of August 2019 (when I started my goal) was: $102,847.39
Mortgage Payoff Countdown - Month 10
Here are the numbers for this month:
|Loan Amount (beginning of month)||$85,400.15|
|Principle Paid Off From Regular Payment||-$507.48|
|Principle Paid Off From Reselling||-$811.66|
|Loan Amount (end of month)||$84,081.01|
A total of $12,761.21 has come just from reselling thrift store items for profit!
Progress Chart Update
Every month I update a progress chart. It is a huge motivator and visual tool for me to see the amount getting paid down each month.
This month, I was able to color in 1 house and am $81 from being able to color in a second!
Each of the 100 houses on the chart represents $1,000.
Tracking Your Goals
If you’d like to track your goals towards saving for a down payment, building house savings, or paying off your mortgage, I’ve created some goal charts for you! You can get them here:
Thank you for joining me! Let’s celebrate our progress together! And don’t forget to sign up for Reseller Bootcamp here!:
- 6 Places To Get Free Inventory For ResellingWondering how to get free inventory for reselling on eBay, Poshmark, or Mercari. Here are 6 places you can get free things to sell!Read More
- How To Get More Views On eBayAre you not getting the views (and more importantly, the sales) that you want on eBay? If so here are 10 ways to get more views on eBay.Read More
- Crush Your Debt ChallengeThanks for joining the challenge! Watch your email for Read More
- Review Of The MUNBYN Thermal Label Printer For ShippingRead this before purchasing the MUNBYN thermal label printer for shipping! Here's my review after using!Read More
- 8 Best Blogs About Reselling & Selling On eBayWant to become a successful reseller? Here are the best blogs about reselling and selling on eBay you should be following!Read More
- Best Freebies For Learning How To ResellCheck out this roundup of the best freebies out there for learning how to resell on platforms like eBay, Poshmark and Mercari!Read More
- How To Keep Track Of Poshmark InventoryOverwhelmed with keeping track of your Poshmark inventory? Here's how to get organized and manage your clothes and other items for reselling!Read More
- How To Take Pictures Of Clothes To Sell: 8 Tips To Get Them Actually Sold!Having problems getting your clothing items sold? Here's how to take pictures of clothes to sell. 8 Tips to get them sold!Read More
- How To Take Photos For eBay: 7 Must Read Tips To Make More MoneyGreat pictures are essential to successfully selling on eBay. Learn how to take photos for eBay that get your item noticed and sold.Read More
- How To Look Up Sold Prices On eBay (Including Best Offer!)Trying to figure out how you can see what price eBay items sold for? Here's how to see how much items actually sold for, including best offers!Read More